Re: Regarding device cycles

Sri,

>    I have a doubt regarding devices, with respect to how  they operate.
> Every device needs some cycles to operate. So, devices like  NIC, Video
> controller, memory controller, ...., does they all have their  own
> clock or core. Or these controllers act in respect to system clock  are
> CPU clock.
> Please help me clarify this doubt.

I don't know you but I need to play/exercise the hardware to fully
understand how it works. Reading only will remove half of questions.
Seeing how the thing works removes the remaining "doubts".

Couple of topics above I posted a pointer to a test board based on
a very simple micro-controller from Texas Instruments. Follow the link,
read with attention the description. For a very low price you get a
working "device" plus the IDE to program it. You may order two of them
link together their serial ports and see how the UART works in
conjunction with the CPU.

I guess most of those who read my post didn't catch the signification
of this event. I'm in no way linked to T.I. I use, professionally their
products and I'm thrilled to see what they just did.

Do you want to understand how CPU, UART, Clock/Timer, GPIO,
Interrupts work? Play with this development board.

Dave, as he explained you how things work together pointed you to a
complex TI micro controller. It is an powerful ARM based platform and would
be excellent to play with such device to understand how it works. The one
I point to is much. much simpler and affordable to start with. It has only
128 bytes of RAM, 2K of flash and 14 pins. But it packs a risk CPU,
couple of timers, serial ports, A/D and GPIOs. It is excellent to learn.

To be __CLEAR__ - you won't do Linux driers on this platform. You will learn
how "devices" (H/W) work. Come back to Linux after and everything will be
much, much simpler to understand.

Have fun,
Stephan.

p.s. There is a Wiki linked to this platform. I provides doc, help, examples
and a group to share knowledge.

http://ti.com/launchpadwiki