Regarding device cycles

Hi all,

   I have a doubt regarding devices, with respect to how they operate.
Every device needs some cycles to operate. So, devices like NIC, Video
controller, memory controller, ...., does they all have their own
clock or core. Or these controllers act in respect to system clock are
CPU clock.
Please help me clarify this doubt.

I know DMA steals some CPU cycles to transfer data, I mean does
operation with cpu cycles in parallel. Thanks.

--
Regards,
Sri.