Re: Linux Kernel Development - A Practical Approach

  i've dropped all but the kernelnewbies mailing list from the CC
list.

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Tapas Mishra wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Linux "Kernel" Explorer
> <mylinuxlab@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I am reading 'Linux Kernel Development' by Robert Love these days.
> >
> > This book takes you on a theoretical journey of the linux kernel
> > world.Though the book is good but I do have my share of concerns.

> Exactly even I do have same concerns. www.crashcourse.ca check the
> above website till today this is the only most relevant thing which
> I find easy to begin with.

  thanks, i appreciate the compliment.  my online kernel programming
course still has a number of lessons to be added, i just need the time
to get around to finishing them.  mercifully, i have next week off so
i hope to publish most of what's left in that time.

  as for robert's book, it's not meant as a hard-core kernel
programmer reference; it's more designed to introduce the beginner to
the theory and layout of the kernel, and the principles of kernel
programming.  if you want more driver-oriented content, i'd suggest
"essential linux device drivers":

http://www.amazon.ca/Essential-Device-Drivers-Sreekrishnan-Venkateswaran/dp/0132396556/

robert's book (LKD3) lays the foundation, while ELDD gets into more
specific driver detail.  if you can afford it, you really should buy
both books as they serve very different purposes.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca