Inserting a virtual device between filesystem and disk

Hi,

I am trying to write a virtual device that pretty much does nothing
but inserting itself between a disk device and the filesystem using
the disk device (for now, but later will do some stuff). So it needs
to sit in the normal path and pass everything down. Since it seemed to
me that DRBD is the closest to what I'm trying to do, I took a look. I
must admit that I'm not understanding the whole thing yet, but it uses
bd_claim() & generic_make_request(), and a filesystem would be mounted
on the virtual device.

So I wonder if this is the way to go. It seems that if you use
generic_make_request() in the virtual device, then you might have to
go through the generic block layer twice, one on the way from the
filesystem to the virtual device, and again on the way from the
virtual device to the actual device. Am I understanding correct?

Thanks in advance for any information.

- Steve