Re: Linux Kernel Development - A Practical Approach

Linux "Kernel" Explorer wrote:
I am reading 'Linux Kernel Development' by Robert Love these days.

I've just started reading this book myself, I hope you're reading the recently released third edition.

This book takes you on a theoretical journey of the linux kernel world.Though the book is good but I do have my share of concerns.

    * I Understand theory is important but how to gain some practical
      experience.How to learn to apply the rules you have learnt in the
      book. I have got no clue.

As it says in the first chapter, you should be trying to write examples as you read from the book. I haven't read enough of the book to say for sure, but I think it has been written so that you have to do a lot of work yourself. That is rather different to something like Linux Device Drivers 3 which comes with lots of examples.

    * Trying to dive into the kernel code and expecting things to make
      sense would be a little to premature.I will have to jump into the
      code ...but I guess its too early.

It's never too early, everyone is afraid of the code at first, but don't be. Think about what you'd like to learn within the kernel i.e. writing a device driver and the try debugging one, use ftrace or sprinkle some printk statements to try and figure out what is going on.

    * Should I be trying my hand at System programming first / Kernel
      user side to get a hand of things.Would it be a good idea ?

Yes, you should definitely be familiar with how user space interacts with the kernel, it helps quite a lot.

Philip Downer

P.S. I've just noticed that you've copied this to lots of different lists like the lkml, that probably wasn't a good idea. I'd just stick to kernel newbies for now if I was you...