Re: regarding do_irq

Hi Sri,

Replying to the list this time...

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Sri Ram Vemulpali
<sri.ram.gmu06@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>  Thanks for explanation, but is there any delay between interrupt handler
> and softirq execution. Suppose say INT7 triggered and its handler got
> executed. Now this handler raised the softirq and finished its interrupt
> context. Since interrupts preempts the current running task, after finishing
>  IRQ context does the task should resumes. But since softirq was scheduled
> (raised), then is it that softirq will be executed immediately after
> interrupt handler or it takes some time when interrupted task was switched
> out and scheduler recognizes a softirq was pending. I know that ksoftirqd is
> responsible to execute all pending softirqs , who will invoke this, and for
> every periodic time ksoftirqd invokes and executes softirq. Can you please
> explain. Thanks.

Under a normally loaded system, the softirq will run as soon as the
hardirq stack unwinds (i.e. there are no pending hardirqs).

However, if a softirq is triggered for a second time while softirqs
are being handled, the ksoftirqd is triggered to process the softirqs
in a task context.

So yes, it is possible for there to be a delay between the hardirq
completing and the softirq executing.

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada