Re: regarding do_irq

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Bond <jamesbond.2k.g@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Dave Hylands <dhylands@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> The kernel has the notion of "going idle". This happens whenever there
>> is nothing to do.
>
> Hi Dave from your message I want to ask going idle suppose I am having a
> Linux box on my system.
> Then display manager,polling and other things are constantly happening which
> are being handled by the CPU so when does
> the kernel goes idle I am not able to understand how can kernel be idle.

Well, check your CPU usage. It's probably less than 100%. Let's say
it's at 46%. That means that the system is spending 54% of its time
"doing nothing" or being idle.

>From a macroscopic level, it looks like the CPU is busy. But from a
microscopic level, the kernel is spending 540 millseconds out of every
second waiting for something to happen. Those 540 milliseconds are
when the kernel is idle.

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada