Re: malloc memory region descriptors

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 15:00, Prabhu nath <gprabhunath@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>           In linux kernel, for all memory allocation done by vmalloc, kernel
> maintains memory region descriptor (vm_struct) which stores information
> about the linear virtual address range, no. of physical page frames
> allocated... as a linked list headed by vmlist symbol.
> Can you please give me information about how does kernel maintain
> information about memory allocation done by malloc/calloc invoked by a user
> application ?

Seems like my article once again might be useful for you, please kindly check:
http://linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2006/11/30/linux-out-of-memory.html

Oh and don't miss the "references" part. I learn about glibc allocator
almost entirely from the Phrack's articles.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant