From: pardeep bansal <peepbansal@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: malloc memory region descriptors
To: "Prabhu nath" <gprabhunath@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx, techtraining@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, 21 August, 2010, 2:12 PM

OK! Now I came to know what exactly your problem is......

malloc is an intelligent function...it keeps record of every byte
returned by it.....what it do is...It takes a bulk amount of memory
from operating system.....and then manage it himself for the
process...

malloc keeps a record of allocated bytes and free ones through a
structure called

struct mem_control_block {
    int is_available;
    int size;
};

and two global variables
void *managed_memory_start;
void *last_valid_address;

when you call malloc(34), it takes bulk amount of memory from the
OS..(lets say 4 KB)...and then put the starting address of this
memory(returned by OS) into both the global variables
'managed_memory_start' and 'last_valid_address'. Then it initialize
the object of above strucure, assigning, is_available=0 and
size=34....it then writes this object at the address pointed by
"last_valid_address"(that is the starting address of returned memory),
then it initialize a local 'void * memory_location'
memory_location=last_valid_address+sizeof(mem_control_block);
then returns this address to the process, hence we can say that
"information about the area allocated to process' by mlloc is kept at
the beginning of allocated area.
it then updates the last_valid_address to
last_valid_address=last_valid_address+sizeof(mem_control_block)
+size;//here last_valid_address is starting address of memory block
returned by OS,size=34 as you given this value.
Then when you call malloc(24);
Then it again initialize the object of  mem_control_block strucure,
assigning, is_available=0 and size=24....it then writes this object at
the address pointed by "last_valid_address"(that is least starting
address of free memory), then it initialize a local 'void *
memory_location'
memory_location=last_valid_address+sizeof(mem_control_block);
then returns this address to the process,
The same thing applies to when u call e=malloc(1024);

when u call free(e);
now 'e' contains the address returned by malloc and we know that
information about the allocated memory resides just before the
returned addres...
so we manipulate this thing...
struct mem_control_block *temp;
temp = (mem_control_block *) ( e - sizeof(mem_control_block));
now temp points to the info block of allocated area (initialized and
stored by malloc(1024));
now it do..
we know
temp->size contains 1024, this is where free(...) come to know about
the size of block.
temp->is_available = 1;//it means this block is free
last_valid_address = last_valid_address - temp->size;

you call malloc(1845);
same thing repeats again..........

I have written this in brief.I hope this will help you little
A lot of other things needs to be discussed.....
like fragmentation problem in it, when it requests to OS for more memory...
like traversing from the starting address to find free blocks
everytime,....old algorithm implemented in malloc, new algorithm to
overcome the limitations of old algorithm  etc..... and lots

This is a big but simple topic and needs a article of about 20
pages.....I will write a complete aricle over this.....upload it
soon...