Re: Accessing kernel memory from multiple modules

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 22:36, Usman S. Ansari <uansari@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Obviously memory is allocated in both cases.

OK, that was something I was unaware. So, in module A which originally
holds the struct, you already put a value in buf[0]? And you
absolutely sure it's allocated there, right?

> Question is, whether linker which links kernel modules to running Linux kernel puts some sort of trap, so module cannot write to globally allocated memory in another module ?

Although I never checked it, but I am fairly sure there is no trap.
After all, once loaded, those modules are actually the kernel itself.

Unless in the case like user mode pages which can be marked as COW-ed,
or empty VMA which can be latter be faulted, I never read that kernel
allocated memory is trapped. Yes, there is poisoning, but IMO that's
entirely different.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa