Re: Some basic understanding about .config file

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

> Hi....
>
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 03:33, adhyas.avasthi@xxxxxxxxx
> <adhyas.avasthi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > * If I have an old config file and I copy it over to a freshly
> > downloaded kernel tree, do I necessarily need to run make
> > oldconfig or make menuconfig would do the same trick?
>
> You can do make oldconfig, which will load your old .config and
> "adapt" it to your current kernel version. "adapt" here means apply
> options that is found identical in your current tree, but ask you
> question when they are not found.
>
> Or you can use make menuconfig and use "load config" (something like
> that, i forgot the exact wording) to load your old .config

  not to sound self-serving but i covered that in my online course in
the first couple of lessons here:

http://crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/introduction-linux-kernel-programming

those first five lessons have been released under a creative commons
license so you're free to do with them what you wish, as long as it's
compatible with the license.

everything from lesson 6 is only available to subscribers, though.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca