Re: About Linux Header files

>> I'm sorry I misread your question. I guess the correct reason would be
>> /build/include/linux has a lot of header files that userspace programs
>> wouldn't need and are internal to the kernel.
>>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> but then what is the need for  /usr/include/linux/*.h files ?

Hi Sid,
There are certain data structures and macro definitions that are
common to both the kernel and userspace, libc and userspace program
would need these definitions inorder to be able to talk to the kernel
properly.

Also `man 7 hier` though it doesn't directly answer your question can
throw some light:

/usr/include/linux
This contains information which may change from system release to
system release and used to be a symbolic link to
/usr/src/linux/include/linux to get at  operating system specific
information.
(Note  that one should have include files there that work correctly
with the current libc and in user space.  However, Linux kernel source
is not designed to be used with user programs and does not know
anything about the libc you are using.  It is very likely that things
will  break  if  you  let  /usr/include/asm  and /usr/include/linux
point  at  a  random  kernel tree.  Debian systems don't do this and
use headers from a known good kernel version, provided in the
libc*-dev package.)

take care,
Joel