[LONG] kernel newbie column, LKMPG, twitter and shameless self-promotion

kernel newbies (and others):

  as someone who's been on this list for a while and spent a fair bit
of time writing for the benefit of the general public, i have some
thoughts and questions, and would appreciate any feedback.

  as some of you probably remember, i'm the author of a column for
beginning kernel programmers that was published at linux.com a while
back, links to which can be found at my current web site:

  http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Kernel_newbie_columns

because of changing commitments, i had to put that column on hold back
in october, but i have every intention of resuming it in the near
future and picking up where i left off, and here's where i'm open to
suggestions as to the most effective way to go about this.

  the obvious strategy would be to keep doing it at linux.com, given
the massive readership, but i emailed a while back making the offer
and haven't heard back.  the other option is to simply do all of that
at my current web site -- crashcourse.ca -- which is, at the moment,
suffering from some neglect but is being totally redesigned by top
women.  i mean, *top* women.  it's going to be all drupal pre-7 and,
once it's ready in a few days, it would actually be more convenient to
host all the columns there since i have total control and can fix
errors instantly.  in short, the column *will* be resumed at some
point and i'm just pointing you at where it *might* end up.  moving
on.

  the other option is that, a couple years back, i was given the
chance to become the new maintainer of the linux kernel module
programming guide (LKMPG) -- http://tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/.
but thinking about it, it's pretty clear that that would be somewhat
redundant since there would be a *huge* amount of overlap.  not much
point in repeating myself to that extent.  and part of my plan
regarding my columns is to go back, clean up the *existing* ones, make
them hang together even more smoothly and, eventually, turn them into
something resembling LKMPG that would really represent a short course
in introductory kernel programming, available freely online.

  now, why am i investing that much time writing for other people for
free?  first, i like writing and, yes, there's some altruism there and
if you get some benefit out of what i've written somewhere, that's
great.  the other reason, not surprisingly, is that i use all my
writing to promote myself, so if people around where i live (an hour
outside of toronto, ontario) need linux training or consulting, they
might get ahold of me.

  and, as it stands, i recently finished a contract and am looking for
another one, but at the same time, i would dearly love to get back to
doing more linux and linux-related training so if you're in the market
for some linux education at your company and it's geographically
convenient, drop me a line.

  (aside:  i think i mentioned that i recently joined forces with the
guys at free-electrons.com in france, and am helping to update a lot
of their online docs:  http://free-electrons.com/docs/.  i'm doing
that as volunteer work, primarily because, like everyone else, i have
access to all of that material for training so it's in my best
interests that it be as current as possible.)

  ok, i'm almost done so hang in there.  as it stands, i have some
options for new contracts locally that represent your basic 40-hour
week and it's interesting work and it pays well and i would have no
problems taking it.  but in a perfect universe, i would be training,
say, 7-10 days a month, maybe a little consulting, and spending the
rest of the time continuing to write for the general public.  and
that, of course, requires finding that training work.

  so, bottom line, i'm available for linux and other open source
training contracts, either in the greater toronto area or, heck, even
further afield (ottawa is certainly doable).  and since i have very
little overhead, i can guarantee that i would cost ***way*** less than
many training providers.  (oh, and i'll certainly listen to offers of
consulting as well, let's not forget that.)

  finally, to wrap things up, i realize this has been shameless
self-promotion so i apologize for abusing the mailing list to this
extent, and if you want to keep up with all the changes i mentioned
above, your best bet is to get a twitter account and follow me on
twitter, where i will post regularly on new content that's been
posted, new blog posts i've written and so on:

  http://twitter.com/rpjday

so i'm not going to spam the list again with a post like this -- just
follow me on twitter and you'll stay informed.

  on that note, i think i've said my piece and i appreciate your
patience if you made it this far.

rday

p.s.  i'm waiting to hear back whether i'm going to get a tutorial
slot at ottawa linux symposium next month.  if i do, i'll probably do
my standard "writing and running your first kernel module," so if that
interests you and you're going, i'll announce it as soon as i hear one
way or the other.