color listing on serial terminal - Perhaps a silly question

Hi friends,

As above, I don't know if this is a dumb question, but here goes anyway.

On my embedded target (ARM9), when I print full listings, I get color
print-out (ie. different file extensions are different color etc) when I
SSH into my host PC (Ubuntu 10.04) and request ls -al.
However, when I 'ls -al' on my target itself I get a single color only.

The bizarre thing is that at some stage, a while ago, I *did* get LOCAL
color printout on my target, but I can't recall for the life of me
whether that was due to a setting in my Kernel or my rootfs.

I use putty for terminal and ANSI color etc is enabled.
Whenh I run Links2.0 on my embedded target and enable color in Terminal
settings I get full color dump on putty when I eg. bring up google.com
etc...

Can anyone give a hint where the target's ability to produce color in
"ls -al" is supposed to come from ?
I've Sherlock Holmed several times through the Kernel, rootf (Buildroot)
and packages (Busybox) settings and can't find it for the life of me.

Any and all advice very welcome !!!

TIA
B rgds
Kris