Re: I/O and memory barriers

Pei Lin wrote:
2010/5/17 luca ellero <lroluk@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hi list,
I have some (maybe stupid) questions which I can't answer even after reading
lots of documentation.
Suppose I have a PCI device which has some I/O registers mapped to memory
(here I mean access are made through memory, not I/O space).
As far as I know the right way to access them is through functions such as
iowrite8 and friends:

spin_lock(Q)
iowrite8(some_address, ADDR)
iowrite8(some_data, DATA);
spin_unlock(Q);

My questions are:

1) Do I need a write memory barrier (wmb) between the two iowrite8?
I think I need it because I've read the implementation of iowrite8 and (in
kernel 2.6.30.6) this expands to:

void iowrite8(u8 val, void *addr)
{
  do {
      unsigned long port = (unsigned long )addr;
      if (port >= 0x40000UL) {
          writeb(val, addr);
      } else if (port > 0x10000UL) {
          port &= 0x0ffffUL;
          outb(val,port);
      } else bad_io_access(port, "outb(val,port)" );
  } while (0);
}

where writeb is:

static inline void writeb(unsigned char val, volatile void *addr) {
  asm volatile("movb %0,%1":
      :"q" (val), "m" (*(volatile unsigned char *)addr)
      :"memory");
}

which contains only a compiler barrier (the :"memory" in the asm statement)
but no CPU barrier. So, without wmb(), CPU can reorder the iowrite8 with
disastrous effect. Am I right?

2) do I need mmiowb() before spin_unlock()?
Documentation about mmiowb() is really confusing me, so any explanation
about his use is really welcome.

See the documentation which explains it  clearly.
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.27.46/Documentation/memory-barriers.txt

1295LOCKS VS I/O ACCESSES
1296---------------------
1297
1298Under certain circumstances (especially involving NUMA), I/O accesses within
1299two spinlocked sections on two different CPUs may be seen as
interleaved by the
1300PCI bridge, because the PCI bridge does not necessarily participate in the
1301cache-coherence protocol, and is therefore incapable of issuing the required
1302read memory barriers.
1303
1304For example:
1305
1306        CPU 1                           CPU 2
1307        =============================== ===============================
1308        spin_lock(Q)
1309        writel(0, ADDR)
1310        writel(1, DATA);
1311        spin_unlock(Q);
1312                                        spin_lock(Q);
1313                                        writel(4, ADDR);
1314                                        writel(5, DATA);
1315                                        spin_unlock(Q);
1316
1317may be seen by the PCI bridge as follows:
1318
1319        STORE *ADDR = 0, STORE *ADDR = 4, STORE *DATA = 1, STORE *DATA = 5
1320
1321which would probably cause the hardware to malfunction.
1322
1323
1324What is necessary here is to intervene with an mmiowb() before dropping the
1325spinlock, for example:
1326
1327        CPU 1                           CPU 2
1328        =============================== ===============================
1329        spin_lock(Q)
1330        writel(0, ADDR)
1331        writel(1, DATA);
1332        mmiowb();
1333        spin_unlock(Q);
1334                                        spin_lock(Q);
1335                                        writel(4, ADDR);
1336                                        writel(5, DATA);
1337                                        mmiowb();
1338                                        spin_unlock(Q);
1339
1340this will ensure that the two stores issued on CPU 1 appear at the
PCI bridge
1341before either of the stores issued on CPU 2.
1342
1343
1344Furthermore, following a store by a load from the same device
obviates the need
1345for the mmiowb(), because the load forces the store to complete
before the load
1346is performed:
1347
1348        CPU 1                           CPU 2
1349        =============================== ===============================
1350        spin_lock(Q)
1351        writel(0, ADDR)
1352        a = readl(DATA);
1353        spin_unlock(Q);
1354                                        spin_lock(Q);
1355                                        writel(4, ADDR);
1356                                        b = readl(DATA);
1357                                        spin_unlock(Q);
1358
1359
1360See Documentation/DocBook/deviceiobook.tmpl for more information.
Thanks for your reply,
I've already read the documentation, anyway what surprises me is the fact that mmiowb() (at least on x86) is defined as a compiler barrier (barrier()) and nothing else. I would expect it to do something more than that: some specific PCI command or at least a dummy "read" from some PCI register (since a read forces the store to complete).
Furthermore a lot of PCI drivers seem to ignore its use.
Can you explain me that?
Luca