Re: error in loading a module in 2.6.34

On Sun, 2010-05-23 at 01:53 -0400, Balachandar wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Simon Kitching
> <simon.kitching@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I see that drivers/vhost/Kconfig contains this:
> >
> > config VHOST_NET
> >  tristate "Host kernel accelerator for virtio net (EXPERIMENTAL)"
> >  depends on NET && EVENTFD && (TUN || !TUN) && (MACVTAP || !MACVTAP)
> >   && EXPERIMENTAL
> >
> > I'm not very familiar with Kconfig, but that does look rather weird to
> > me: (TUN || !TUN) ??. It might be worth reading the appropriate emailing
> > list archives (search file MAINTAINERS for "vhost").
> >
> > Of course this is clearly marked EXPERIMENTAL; very early adopters need
> > to expect troubles :-)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Simon
> >

> Which mailing list should i approach with the bug? Could you please
> tell me the usual procedure to solve such bugs?  Thank you...

There is a file in the root directory of a git checkout called
MAINTAINERS. This contains the contact information to use for discussion
on various parts of the kernel. Searching this file for "vhost" shows
the right email list to use (kvm).

There is also a script (scripts/get_maintainer.pl) that searches the
MAINTAINERS file.

Please note that, like the kernel list, these are *development* lists,
not user support lists. So you need to do some research first before
posting there; looking for an email archive for the list and searching
it with the appropriate keywords would be a good thing to do. Asking
here was a good step though - and if Robert can only guess at an answer,
then something tricky is definitely going on.

If you do decide to send an email, I strongly suggest phrasing things as
a question ("why doesn't this work for me?"), rather than saying "I
found a bug". It's more polite, and there's a fair chance it isn't a bug
at all.

By the way, have you tried to resolve your original problem by enabling
the TUN driver and recompiling the kernel? I presume that will make
things work - although normally mandatory dependencies for some feature
*should* be enabled automatically.

Regards,
Simon