Re: System memory increased while process is running is not released back upon process exit

Could somebody please provide your thoughts or inputs on below mentioned issue.

Regards,
Ravikumar

ravikumar wrote:
Hi all,

I've some application which will do much I/O disk. While this application is running the memory usage of system is continuously increasing. After stopping my process , no memory usage increased. But leaked/increased memory was not released back upon my application exit.This proves that there is no potential memory leaks in my process. Also /proc/<PID>/status file contents are not changing from start to end.

Where is leaked memory was gone even though my application terminates ?

I assumed that memory reserved for kernel buffer cache is not releasing back. Correct me if assumption is wrong.

So i wanted test Linux Kernel buffer cache memory allocation/release, I take Linux command line utility 'du'

Before running this utility , the 'free  -m' command output is:
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem:          1004         79        924          0          1         21
-/+ buffers/cache:         *57*        946
Swap:         1992          7       1985

I ran du command on */* directory.It had given the output and exited.Now free command output is:

Mem:          1004        166        837          0         37         21
-/+ buffers/cache:        *106*        897
Swap:         1992          7       1985

106-57=49M is not released back.

The same behavior I observed with my application.

I stuck up at this stage to analyze the issue.
Is really Linux Kernel is taken the physical memory for buffering and not releasing in back ?
If yes , how long it will hold ?

Regards,
Ravikumar