Re: how to call system call from kernelspace

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 09:25, rahul patil
> <rahul.deshmukhpatil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Though it is bad idea to call a system call from kernel space
>> is it possible any how to call a system call from kernel space?
>
> IIRC, don't forget to set the code and data segment. I forgot the
> function names, sorry. You'll need it to avoid error checking knowing
> that these syscalls are called from outside user space virtual memory
> segment.

I think Mulyadi is referring to these sequence of steps:

      fs = get_fs();     /* save previous value */
      set_fs (get_ds()); /* use kernel limit */

      /* system calls can be invoked */

      set_fs(fs); /* restore before returning to user space */

Refer : http://www.linux.it/~rubini/docs/ksys/ksys.html

> --
> regards,
>
> Mulyadi Santosa
> Freelance Linux trainer and consultant
>
> blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
> training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com
>
> --

Regards,
Sandeep.

“To learn is to change. Education is a process that changes the learner.”