Re: Read block level storage via kernel modules

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 08:08:12AM +0530, Naval wrote:
> Thank you very much for replying, I really appreciate your help.
>
> >Like the one in the kernel already?
>
> Yes. But i am really unable to figure out how kernel does that.

Read the source to the driver in the kernel that does exactly this
already (hint, it's in drivers/block/nbd.c) and you will see how this
works.

> The request will be received by a server program (user space program) and
> then it has to somehow delegate the request to kernel (i think writing a
> module and a system call myself?). The kernel would access the block device
> and return the data which server would pass to the client which initiated
> the request.

That's much like iscsi as others have pointed out.  If you wish to
reimplement something already done, then look at how those groups did
it, the code is all open.

> >That is because it does not accept html email.  Please fix your client
> and resend.
>
> Sorry, but I have no idea about such clients. Can you please name one?

Your email client (what you use to send email with).  If it's gmail, go
change the settings on it.

good luck,

greg k-h