Difference between various superblock methods

Hi,

I am going through the Understanding Linux Kernel, chapter 12.
In this it describes various methods to get the superblock. These are:

1. get_sb_bdev()
2. get_sb_nodev()
3. get_sb_pseudo()
4. get_sb_single()

I am unable to understand the difference between these. Also, what is the need of so many different functions? Can't we have just one function to get the superblock?

Any suggestions for understanding the above concept would be helpful.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Regards,
Himanshu Aggarwal