Memory is not becoming available even after freeing it.

Hi everyone,

I am writing a simple memory manager for my application which will
free any excess memory being used by my modules, so that it's
available again for use. My modules allocate memory using alloc_page &
kmem_cache_alloc and so the memory manager uses put_page &
kmem_cache_free respectively to free up the memory which is not in
use.

The problem I am facing is, even after I free the memory using
put_page & kmem_cache_free, my modules are not able to get the free
memory. I have written a test code which allocates a lot of memory in
loop and when out of memory sleeps on memory manager to free up the
memory. Memory manager successfully executes free code and wakes up
the sleeping process as memory should be available now. Interestingly
the alloc_page /  kmem_cache_alloc calls still fail to allocate
memory. Now, I am clueless why it is happening so seeking help.

Regards,
Vikash Kumar
http://VikashKumar.com/