Re: Unhandled kernel unaligned access

Hi Anoop...

I know nothing about MIPS, but perhaps I could share general ideas here....

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Anoop <anoop.chargotra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am working on a target with MIPS architecture to support a USB 3G
> card. This card uses 'option' usb serial driver.
> Every thing goes fine, until I plug out the card when connection is up.

Uhm, what does that mean? you unplug the card while the connection is
still established? What are you trying to achieve here, bug testing
maybe?

> It throws up a dump on the console and after that USB subsystem doesn't work.
>
> I am using Kernel '2.6.21'.
>
> Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Anoop
>
> Here is the dump:
>
> [...]
>
> Unhandled kernel unaligned access[#1]:

I have a guess, that MIPS is one of the architectures that forbid
unaligned memory access i.e it will throws exception when we access
memory address which is not a multiple of bus width (CMIIW).

Thus, my blind guess, there is no installed exception handler that
handle this unaligned access...hence the bug is showing (in other
word, "standart action" is executed....stack dump and sometimes kernel
panic...depending on the situation).

perhaps what you also should check is that to make sure all the memory
allocation you do is properly aligned....

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant