Re: BUG: scheduling while atomic

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Vikash...
>
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Vikash Kumar <vikashskumar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thanks for your reply. The issue with my code was that at times I was
>> issuing IO from callbacks of IO or XOR operation. The callbacks were
>> in interrupt context and operation to issue IO can sleep which is
>> prohibited in an interrupt context. Hence the bug. Problem goes away
>> if I offload the task of issuing IO from the callback to some other
>> thread.
>
> So, I conclude that you could solved the problem by yourself? Nice to
> hear...and thanks for sharing with us.

Actually I had posted this question on a usenet group as well and
there I got a hint about the presence of timer function in my call
stack. That did it.

However offloading the IO task from callback to a new thread now poses
new set of problems. As in the new thread is not able to handle the
requests quickly enough and that results in bus reset from target end,
which cannot be acceptable. I tried changing the scheduling policy of
my callback IO handler thread to FIFO but that also doesn't help. As
soon as the IO load increases the thread fails to keep up.

>> PS: I am working towards developing the whole raid system i.e.
>> handling code for a DAS box.
>
> By "DAS", you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-attached_storage that?

Yes that is correct.