Re: Linux Version - 32 bit OR 64 bit

Hi Ajay,

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Ajay Jain <ajay050@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a machine that has an RHEL installed. The machine is a 64 bit
> machine. I want to know whether I am using RHEL-32 bit OR RHEL-64 bit.
> How do I find that? If I do a uname -a, it shows:
>
> Linux resolution 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 16:36:54 EDT 2007
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

>From what I understand, You are running a x86_64 environment which
essentially means that it has a 64 bit environment which is fully
compatible with 32 bit user mode binaries. That is, your kernel is
using a 64 bit address space (actually it would not be true 64 bit -
better have a look at the Wikipedia entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64 rather than I confuse you!!) which
can handle 32 bit addressing modes.

This is generally applicable when you are running a EM64T or AMD
processor (not limited to them). All in all, your kernel is 64 it
(again, not true 64 bit) but you can run 32 bit programs on it. You
can also compile 64 bit binaries by using the correct library and
compiler paths (for e.g. /usr/lib64 or /lib64 etc - I am not very sure
about this - comments welcome)

> This only shows that I have a 64 bit machine.
>
> From cat /etc/redhat-release, I see:
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)
>
> This also does not show whether it's 32 bit Or 64 bit.

Well Machine has two broad parts, kernel - which is 64 bit addressing
mode, and user-space - which can support both 32 and 64 bit.

<I can be entirely wrong so please do let me know in case I am - this
is from my own understanding of the x86_64 architecture>
--
Shreyansh