Re: Copyright question

> Assume the function floppy_end_request is not from kernel and I have
> written it for my employer.
>
> Now the basic template of floppy_end_request is almost same as
> end_request from LDD3. Since end_request is copyright protected, can I
> not write a function like floppy_end_request function?
>
> If I can not, then does it not virtually make new block device driver
> writing impossible? Because all block device drivers will more or less
> have same code at request handling level.

>From wikipedia: Copyright is the set of exclusive rights granted to
the author or creator of an original work, including the right to
copy, distribute and adapt the work.

So its not that if its copyrighted, you cannot copy. You can adapt the
work provided you adhere to its license - which the GPL says you have
to give you proper attribution to the developer as Mulyadi pointed.