Re: Sysfs Device Attributes: Subdirectory under subdirectory

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 01:11:36PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:12:31AM +0530, Himanshu Chauhan wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I want to create subdirectory under subdirectory in sysfs
> > for a device.
>
> Ick, don't.
>
> > For example, if vhci_hcd is my device I want
> > the following hierarchy:
> >
> > vhci_hcd
> >     +--> status
> >            +--->0
> >            |    |
> >            |    +--> status
> >            |    |
> >            |    +--> speed
> >            |    |
> >            |    +--> device id
> >            |    |
> >            |    +--> socket
> >            |    |
> >            |    +--> busid
> >            +--->N
> >                 +--> status
> >                 +--> speed
> >                 +--> device id
> >                 +--> socket
> >                 +--> busid
>
> No, you really do not want this.  Why do you feel that you would want to
> create something that does not fit into the current driver/device model
> of the kernel?
>
> In short, what specifically are you trying to convey here?

Hi Greg,

There are 8 ports exported by VHCI. So I want to group
the attributes of each port together. 0 to N are the port numbers.
All attributes of port zero will be under 0 and all attributes
of port 1 will be under 1 and so on.

> > So, how do I create subdirectories 0 to N under
> > status? I created attribute groups from 0 to N,
> > how do I attach it to status and then in turn,
> > status to vhci_hcd?
>
> What does these 0-N subdirectories represent?
>
> What does 'status' represent?  Why would status have subdirectories?

status under VHCI should rather be port_status. So hierarcy would be
VHCI_HCD->port_status->port_number[0-8]-><attributes>

> And why in that subdirectory would you have another file called status?
Status is the status of the port if its connected to the stub on the server.

If this is not good, what would be the best layout?

Regards
Himanshu