Re: dentry & path name lookup

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 1:37 PM, er krishna <erkrishna@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear All,

Can anybody please help me how does dentry does path resolution. I want to undersatnd the whole process in detail. Any link or comments are most welcome.

I found following useful :-
http://thecoffeedesk.com/geocities/rkfs.html

Just asking for my understanding,

Dentry maintains a relationship between file object & inode for path name lookup ? Is it right ?

A dentry is an object with a string name (d_name), a pointer to an inode
(d_inode), and a pointer to the parent dentry (d_parent).

If the pathname is /home/krishna/myfile, how it will be resolve ?

If  I am not wrong we will start from "/" and at each level we will  look into the dentry cache using "d_lookup" function to find a name "file -> inode" mapping.

If we don't find in the cache then with "do_lookup" function we will try to find out the inode for the file.

Regards
Neependra

Best Regards,
Krishna