Re: automatic driver loading functionality in Linux

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:49:24AM +0530, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for your message.
> Actually I'm interested in how modprobe autoloads modules based on the
> modalias files in sysfs. I read this in Greg KH's great book - Linux Kernel
> in a Nutshell and I've been wondering how the modules would get loaded if
> they had to be loaded in the first place to have the device->module list to
> exist.

modprobe is "smart" and knows what modules support what devices based on
the cache it creates when you run 'depmod' when a new kernel is
installed.

That information is found in the drivers themselves.

See the modprobe code for details if you wish to know the exact
mechanisms involved, it's pretty easy code to understand.

hope this helps,

greg k-h