automatic driver loading functionality in Linux

I have a doubt with the modalias file in sysfs and its role in
modprobe's ability to automatically load modules.

I understand that this file is generated by the kernel based on the
list of devices that the driver tells the kernel it supports?
and it is with this list that modprobe figures which module to load
for which device.

But how does the module tell the kernel about the list of devices it
supports, if it hasn't been loaded yet (and which is what we were
trying to load in the first place)?

Thanks,
-Joel