multimedia framework tutorial

Hello,
 i just want to know about the multimedia framework in video. i googled for that but i didn't get what i need. i want to know how this multimedia is supported in kernel. what are the drivers and file need for this?i want to know the complete architecture. if it uses gstreamer for multimedia,hoe it handles it?i want o know all the details. so for that i have to learn all the complete concepts. so please can anyone tell me which book will be best for this and is there any e-book available? please help me.