Re: Process, Lightweight Process and Thread

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 17:24 -0800, Daniel (Youngwhan) Song wrote:
> I am reading "Understanding the Linux Kernel" in chapter 3 of
> describing process, and trying to understand the terms of three of
> Process, Lightweight Process and Thread.
>
> Please, confirm if my understanding is correct.
>
> 1. It seems that the concept of thread in the linux kernel is
> lightweight process. Is this right?
Yes
> 1-1 If it is right, are both kernel thread and user-space thread
> (pthread) lightweight process? Or does the lightweight process mean
> only to kernel thread?
Kernel threads does not have access to user address space(no access to
mm_struct), exists only in the kernel address space, and does not
context switch between user space and kernel space. Ex: ksoftirq, which
are created from kernel_thread().

On the other hand, a light weight process or a thread (using pthread)
shares process address and resources belonging to the same process.