Process, Lightweight Process and Thread

Hi,

I am reading "Understanding the Linux Kernel" in chapter 3 of describing process, and trying to understand the terms of three of Process, Lightweight Process and Thread.

Please, confirm if my understanding is correct.

1. It seems that the concept of thread in the linux kernel is lightweight process. Is this right?
1-1 If it is right, are both kernel thread and user-space thread (pthread) lightweight process? Or does the lightweight process mean only to kernel thread?

2. I guess the instance from fork() is a process in user application, and the instance from pthread_create() is a thread. The former process is heavy weight process having copy-on-write feature and the later thread is managed by pthread library handled in user mode. Is this right?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Dan.