Re: Clear screen from the kernel

On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 15:17 +0100, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Fre, 2010-01-15 at 00:24 +1100, Microbit_Ubuntu wrote:
> [...]
> > I can't seem to find any reference to getting *both* the "ordinary" AND
> > the serial line to work.
> The first few paragraphs of
> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/serial-console.txt
> describes this IMHO.
> I didn't try it recently - only years ago (and it worked back then, at
> least with a serial line and the "normal" console).
>
> 	Bernd

Hi Bernd !

Thanks for replying.
I checked with serial-console.txt, but it seems I was already doing
things the way they should be, I think.

Having dug around more, I am now getting the impression that my problem
is actually NOT getting console tty1 output to my serial ttyS0...

Eg. after boot, I login on ttyS0, ok, I get prompt.
If I then login from tty1 (the USB HID keyboard), I don't get any output
on serial (ttyS0).
BUT if I type in a valid command from USB HID, eg. 'reboot', my embedded
system indeed reboots.

This leads me to think that I am overlooking something in my config to
log console output meant for tty1 (or echoed chars from HID keyboard for
that matter) to my *actual* system console, ttyS0.
=> this is because I'm not using any graphics card or frame buffer
(console) on my ARM board.
(another option I guess would be to create a frame buffer and have that
somehow dumped to ttyS0, but dunno about that).

Are you aware of any other config so my tty1 console output (and kbd
echoes) are always (also) output on serial ttyS0 ???

in inittab I have (excerpt) :
-----------------------------
# Set up a couple of getty's
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
(-L and -n switches are no help)

# Put a getty on the serial port
ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100

-----------------------------
After logging in from HID kbd tty1, the tty1 getty process properly
disappears from ps list.
Also, changing the order of console statements on kernel command line
makes no difference, unlike outlined in the serial-console.txt docs :

mem=64M console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mtdblock1 rw
rootfstype=jffs2

Any other help ? It would be nice to be able to retain console output on
the serial, but be able to input from the HID keyboard (even if I lose
console input from serial ttyS0....)

--
Best regards,
Kris