Re: Suggestions for implementing a persistent binary tree

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Joel Fernandes <agnel.joel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually the unbounded delays is not an issue as the lookups are
> usually happening as deferred work, and most of my code is in kernel
> space so I'm not sure if pushing off the hashtable lookup code to
> userspace is a good idea..
>
> Thanks for pointing out that mmap wouldn't work in kernel space. But
> out of curiosity, does this have to do with the fact thatmm is set to
> NULL for a kernel thread task_struct? Why would page faults result in
> an OOPs because if I vmalloc something in the kernel, isn't it already
> mapped?

vmalloc won't result in page faults because it's mapped immediately,
yes. However that means it won't be file-backed. The file-backed
mapping support in the kernel relies on page faults to identify when
pages are dirtied, and the PF handler in the kernel will trigger an
oops unless the faulting address is registered as a userspace transfer
point.

While it might be possible to shoehorn in kernel support for
kernel-mode file-backed mappings, you'd have to be very careful that
you're not violating existing assumptions in the VM subsystem; it'd be
far easier and safer to just push it into userspace (and I can assure
you you'll never manage to upstream it if it's using file-backed
mappings in kernel mode :)