Re: Fwd: Embedded Linux development

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:24 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010, topon topaz wrote:

> Hi Pavan,
> you can give a look at the OpenMoko FreeRunner. It's a Linux phone powered
> by a Samsung S3C2442 ARM CPU.
> It has USB,  WiFi,  Bluetooth, GPS,  SD card,  touchscreen  and it's a great
> tool for investigating how Linux kernel work. They supply also a debug board
> for debugging or flashing the boot-loader or OS. You can try several
> distribution on it: OpenMoko, Debian, QT, Android...
> Don't expect to use it as a regular phone because software is not as stable
> as you might expect, but for experimenting its amazing.
> All software and hardware is open. That means you can easily get the
> schematics or data-sheet from Internet
> I've bought it at the price of 260 Euro (included debug board and delivery
> fee).
> Regards
> Luca

 if you just want a dev board to get started, why not go with a
beagleboard?

 http://beagleboard.org/

rday

Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Web page:                                          http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter:                                       http://twitter.com/rpjday

If I were you, I would pop open a used mobile phone and try to get linux kernel running... and do all sorts of investigation... i really want to do this... has anyone in this forum ever done something like this with a mobile phone? if yes, could you please give some pointers on how to do it? i'm not sure whether i'm hijacking this thread... if yes, then i'll post in a separate thread...

cheers...