Re: unable to mount rootfs (was :Re: kernel compilation help)

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Joel Fernandes <agnel.joel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Mulyadi,
>
> No LVM. no special drivers.. hmm..

Must be something else then....have you tried to compare your custom
build kernel config with your default distro's config? perhaps you can
locate the difference there.

And the most basic of all, are you sure your /etc/fstab points to
correct rootfs? I mean, something like, if it's pointing to rootfs
using label or UUID, maybe it needs initrd. I am not sure whether the
kernel image itself, by default, could do it.

> Tell me something, who takes care of making sure that the module's
> init function is called (registering of the ext3 filesystem with the
> VFS)?
> I understand that these are called when the module is loaded, but what
> happens if it is statically  compiled with the kernel?

I remember that Robert Day asked the more or less the same thing to
this forum quite some time ago. I can't recall the answers, so you
might browse the archieve to read them.

Sorry if I don't help much.

--
regards,