Re: Getting started with kernel development

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009, Daniel Borkmann wrote:

> Hi Nicky,
>
> Nicky Chorley wrote:
> > 2009/12/27 Daniel Borkmann <d.borkmann@xxxxxxxxx>: I have a copy
> > of LDD3, though I haven't really started reading it yet. Would you
> > say that Venkateswaran's is better than LDD3 for a beginner, or
> > isn't there much difference? Device drivers are interesting to me
> > and I do have some hardware that I would like to get working under
> > Linux eventually.
>
> Good question, I think LDD3 has a better explanation on the core
> concepts, so it might be better as a introductory book. I think that
> Venkateswaran's book has a deeper focus on the several kinds of
> drivers with lots of examples. I think both books are complementary
> and really worth reading or looking sth up.

  as the author of the aforementioned kernel newbie columns, let me
suggest that the first place to start if you want to be a kernel
developer is to download the kernel source and get comfortable
configuring, building and booting your own kernels.  don't even start
looking at the source until you've done that a few (several?) times
and aren't scared of doing it anymore.

  to help, i recommend "linux kernel in a nutshell":

http://www.kroah.com/lkn/

rday