Re: Getting started with kernel development

2009/12/27 Daniel Borkmann <d.borkmann@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Nicky,
>
> Nicky Chorley wrote:
>> this. I've bought two books on the subject - "Understanding the Linux
>> kernel" and "Linux Kernel Development", but I guess the problem is
>> that I can't really follow the source code while I'm reading - there
>> aren't enough pointers in the books to the relevant code and it's
>> quite difficult to navigate the tree, since it's so big.
>
> My favourite site for navigating and reading the source is:
>
> http://lxr.linux.no/
>
> I think that should help you a lot with "reading the kernel". Reading
> the source is sometimes the better documentation and, of course, you
> will have to look things up.

Daniel,

Thanks very much for the link to the LXR - that looks obviously useful.

> If you are interested in device drivers you should try:
>
> http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/ or
>
> Essential Linux Device Drivers, by Sreekrishnan Venkateswaran

I have a copy of LDD3, though I haven't really started reading it yet.
Would you say that Venkateswaran's is better than LDD3 for a beginner,
or isn't there much difference? Device drivers are interesting to me
and I do have some hardware that I would like to get working under
Linux eventually.

>> Another thing is that I'm not sure which area of the kernel I'd like
>> to contribute to. This is because I don't yet know how it works, so I
>> can't make any (informed) decision. This is perhaps not much of a
>> problem, I think, since once I learn how things work, I will hopefully
>> be able to contribute (learning more as I do so) to an area that needs
>> it.
>
> I think a good idea to start with would be to write a simple kernel
> module, e.g. a device driver that lets your keyboard LEDs blink or sth
> like that, just to get into it. Another thing which I started with was
> to write a very simple VFS filesystem that helped me getting to know how
> these things work.

Thanks for the advice.. I'll look into that. Actually, speaking of
VFS, I have started reading the chapters on that in the books I've got
- it seems quite readable right now, so maybe I'll stick to that for a
while, before looking at anything else.

Kind regards,

Nicky