Re: Problems while adding sysfs support to older device driver

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:34:09AM +0100, Bjoern Hinrichs wrote:
> Reading my mail again I see that I was unclear about what I was trying to do,
> sorry.
>
> I want a device node (e.g. /dev/titan) to be generated automatically for my
> device. I was expecting udev to do so using a default name, but it is not.
> Because of that I started comparing uevents with other drivers and saw that
> they are seeing additional uevents, therefore I thought that that my mistake
> was there.

Ah, to do that you need to pass a device major:minor to the function you
used to create your struct device in the kernel.

But usually that is done already by the class-specific code that your
device uses to talk to the rest of the kernel (input, misc, network,
etc.)

What type of device is this?  And have you properly hooked it up to the
class for it?

If it is its "own" class, then you need to create your own device to
have it show up properly.  Use device_create() to do this.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h