Re: cloud computing

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 20:39 +0800, Pei Lin wrote:
> 2009/11/25 Bernd Petrovitsch <bernd@xxxxxxx>:
> > On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 00:09 +0800, Pei Lin wrote:
> >> i am just concerned about the security of cloud computing or
> >> distributed computing.
> >> if a hacker attacks one nodes of the computing servers, the all nodes
> >> which connect with it will get the wrong results.
> > If you are upload your data somewhere, you (implicitly) trust that party
> > 100%.
> >
> i want to express others uploading the fake data,maybe give u a wrong
> results because others' data maybe effect your computing.
If the clouds base is buggy/hacked, yes. And?

> if u compute the total in one machine, you can get the correct
> results.BUT the one node cheats the other nodes in the distributed
> system,what would happened at the end?
The same as if the one machine is hacked/trojaned/.... (or evil
proprietary tools are installed and/or run as "root" or equivalent).
Maybe it's easier in a cloud because there are more points where someone
may find a hole to break in.

> >> And recently Google describes a beautiful feature about cloud OS that
> >> everyone only need a cheap and simple client,never need update your
> >> hardware endless and will get the good services of GOOGLE, online
> >> office, online storage,and online everything....
As long as you have really nothing to hide, feel free to use it. It gets
interesting if people store data there where someone else thinks that
it's illegal. Or details of your company and what you do (in detail) and
who your customers are (which may be very interesting to competitors).

Maybe that sounds a little paranoid but just think about it *before* you
to something. Later it's perhaps too late (as you may remove your
account and data there but who knows what *really* happens at the other
end).

> > And you pay for it with the data you upload and allowing the cloud to
> > record every action you so.
Oops: s/ so\./ do./

> yeah, i pay for it with the data i upload,but who can guarantee the
> data i download from server is as the same as i upload. So i just
The one who runs the cloud will guarantee you that (otherwise you
probably won't use it, won't you?). And either you can check it (vie
whatever means) or you trust it without any (real) check (read: you
believe them).

> doubt about google's center control services mode.
Why are you actually uploading stuff (or even use) in the first place
that if you doubt that Google's employees can run that thing?
And for a remotely serious analysis of (security) risks, one should know
more about the network topology, OS, tools, organizational details, etc.
- all involved hard- and software and some wetware-related details (and
not only a few buzzwords from some flyer).

> >> BUT if one of google servers might crash or be hacked... nightmare
> > .. or if Google (or whoever owns it at some future day) just uses Your
> > data for whatever the choose to. It's your call.
> >
> > BTW as you are (also) posting to kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx, what has
> > this to do with the linux kernel?
> er Krishna not me posted the email to kernelnewbies maillist that i am in. :)
The "You" meant primarily the original poster.
> it is the place for the people who start to study linux kernel and
> share the knowledge.
Not I find it that uninteresting but "cloud computing" is too much of a
buzzword today (or at most a set of incompatible, proprietary
"products") to get any real technical knowledge out of it.

And the Linux kernel has exactly what to do with "cloud computing". Just
the fact that someone may run a cloud on Linux boxes?
Just that Google works on a "cloud product" and uses Linux (at least
somewhere else)?

	Bernd
--
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your
question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and