Re: getting started with drivers

I think you should first go through LDD book, then try running some sample programs given in the book. Also go through pdf *lkml*. Both LDD and lkml are available on net. After this try to get understanding of the ALSA or OSS.

May be try writing your own driver which will play MP3 on you PC console speaker.

-Manish R