getting started with drivers

Hi,

I am trying for some time to write some kernel code, but as we all know that's not that easy. I want to write a driver for a no-name mp3 player, just for academic purposes, but I am not sure how should I tackle the problem - will it be a char driver ? how can I detect when it's plugged in/do I need to do that?. Where do I start? How do I do it? Is there any place where I can read about something similar? I've been reading quite a lot lately, but probably not enough.

Thanks a lot for any hints,
Radu.

P.S: Sorry if this message has already sent to the list from another address of mine, but I couldn't get subscribed with it (probably I am greylisted).