Re: kernel logical address vs kernel virtual address

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 7:11 PM, vikesh u <vikesh.um@gmail.com> wrote:
hi,
  " Every logical address in kernel mode is kernel virtual address but
every kernel virtual address may not be a logical address."  famous saying

    I read LDD3 and understood that kernel logical address(KLA) is that kernel is ready to map now..i.e page to frame mapping is present already in RAM(i.e page tables..It is said to be built at boot time) for the memory less than equal to 896.

For some thing above 896  there is no mapping .

Now the high memory address are not directly mapped in (above the 896
MB), kernel has to make page table for them in order to make available
them, these addresses are called logical address. alloc_pages(..) can
returns those address. Internally kernel makes use of kmap(..) &
kunmap(..) to map them.

Hello Folks,

me and one of my friend have been little tossed out over the logical and virtual address of the kernel and in the kernel mode . So he has come up with  the above explanation . Correct us if we are wrong  ?

--
Regards,
~Sid~