Re: intel-vt versus amd-v?

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Mircea Gherzan wrote:

> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > gives me full (AMD-based) hardware virtualization extensions for
> > KVM. does anyone have any reason to believe i might be misreading
> > something and making a mistake with that setup with respect to
> > virtualization? quite simply, i want a moderately-powered laptop
> > that will support all variations of virtualization i might want to
> > play with.
>
> Well, AFAIK, the "variations" of virtualization are, at this moment, the
> following:
> * basic hardware acceleration, ring -1 (VT-x / SVM)
> * I/O virtualization (VT-d / IOMMU) - a chipset, not CPU, feature!!!
> * guest page tables (EPT / RVI)
>
> I think that the Turion only provides SVM.
>
> I/O virtualization enables you to have direct control of a device from
> the guest:
> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM
>
> There are also some small features that bring performance enhancements
> (Intel FlexPriority).

  maybe i'll rephrase my goals -- i guess i'll be satisfied with basic
hardware acceleration for the moment, as that should give me enough to
experiment with all of the most common virtualization options
available.  certainly, that will let me play with KVM, xen, etc.  i'll
leave the fancier stuff for another day.  does that sound logical?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.