Re: intel-vt versus amd-v?

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> gives me full (AMD-based) hardware virtualization extensions for KVM.
> does anyone have any reason to believe i might be misreading something
> and making a mistake with that setup with respect to virtualization?
> quite simply, i want a moderately-powered laptop that will support all
> variations of virtualization i might want to play with.

Well, AFAIK, the "variations" of virtualization are, at this moment, the
following:
* basic hardware acceleration, ring -1 (VT-x / SVM)
* I/O virtualization (VT-d / IOMMU) - a chipset, not CPU, feature!!!
* guest page tables (EPT / RVI)

I think that the Turion only provides SVM.

I/O virtualization enables you to have direct control of a device from
the guest:
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM

There are also some small features that bring performance enhancements
(Intel FlexPriority).

--
Mircea