Re: intel-vt versus amd-v?

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Mircea Gherzan wrote:

> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > is one of those virtualization extensions noticeably superior to the
> > other?
>
> SVM is a bit superior by providing real mode support. The lack of
> real mode emulation in the early verions of KVM was quite an issue
> for users of VTx.

  thanks.  just FYI, here's the system i'm thinking of getting to
support my adventures into virtualization:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4006371&sku=S445-M1626&srkey=m-1626

note the AMD Turion 64 X2 dual core TL-60 CPU which, based on
everything i've read, like here:

http://www.chiplist.com/ChipList2/chiplist_display_section.php?id=2231&page_number=&chiplist_version_major=&chiplist_version_minor=&chiplist_version_revision=&chiplist_version_extension=&chiplist_version_release_date=&chapter_number=0&section_number=0&subsection_number=0&paragraph_number=0&view_mode=tree2a&expansion=2

gives me full (AMD-based) hardware virtualization extensions for KVM.
does anyone have any reason to believe i might be misreading something
and making a mistake with that setup with respect to virtualization?
quite simply, i want a moderately-powered laptop that will support all
variations of virtualization i might want to play with.

thanks again.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.