Video Subsystem

I am trying to find the most complete explanation of the video subsystems available. I want to know how it works and the direction its going. So far this seems like the most prevalent hit I get when searching : the Essential Linux Device Drivers. I have started reading the section on the video subsystem.

So my questions are:

 Is this the most current information available?

Is there somewhere a statement of intent regarding this topic?(i.e. a document that describes where future development is currently headed.)

Any info or additional links to information are most welcome.

Thanks

Max
--
"Any fool can know. The point is to understand" --Albert Einstein

Bored??
http://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Fuqwit1.0

http://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Coding_the_Magic_into_the_Eight_Ball