Re: hot to distinquish between 2 USB devices with same vendor and product id

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:55:24AM +0100, Belisko Marek wrote:
>> Hi,

>> > How do you know which device to send which init data to in the first
>> > place?
>> I'm trying to modify existing driver (not in main tree) for nw8xx chip based
>> webcams(http://nw802.sourceforge.net/news.html). Driver works when it
>> was compiled out of tree but first you should manually replace file
>> with init data according webcam model and then compile.
>
> Ick, that's a mess.
>
>> I think about possibility to make it automatic, without manual copy.
>
> Yes, that would be good.
>
>> I know vendorid and product id ad during probe I think I can retrieve
>> it and use.  That was originally idea how to distiquish between
>> cameras. But then problem come with same vendorid and productid. In
>> this case driver wouldn't work properly because not correct init data
>> sequence will be send to usb device.
>
> But if the device has the exact same descriptor, that would mean they
> are the same type of devices, right?  If not, then the manufacturer
> really messed up.

Yes you're right. I find those cameras with same descriptor:
ProLink DS3303u,Plustek Opticam 500U vendor:0x06a5, product: 0xd001
D-link dru-350c vendor:0x06a5, product: 0xd001
Conceptronic Video Pro 	vendor:0x06a5, product: 0xd001
TwinkleCam vendor:0x06a5, product: 0xd001
Mustek vendor:0x06a5, product: 0xd001

I think this is because they use same camera engine (from divio)
but they need different init configurations (maybee because of different CCDs).

That's also very strange for me and I think it's not possible correctly
distinguish between devices. I think I support only webcams with
different descriptors. Then driver doesn't cover all devices ...
egg-chicken problem ;)

> good luck,
>
> greg k-h

Marek