Re: hot to distinquish between 2 USB devices with same vendor and product id

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 02:36:55PM +0100, Belisko Marek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My problem is that during init I should setup camera with different
>> init data stream but cameras
>> can have same vendor and product id (but different init data should be sent).
>>
>> Exist some way to distinquish between 2 USB devices with same vendor
>> and product id?
>> Don't have bcdDevice parameter.
>
> How do you know which device to send which init data to in the first
> place?
I'm trying to modify existing driver (not in main tree) for nw8xx chip based
webcams(http://nw802.sourceforge.net/news.html). Driver works when it
was compiled
out of tree but first you should manually replace file with init data
according webcam model
and then compile.

I think about possibility to make it automatic, without manual copy.

I know vendorid and product id ad during probe I think I can retrieve
it and use.
That was originally idea how to distiquish between cameras. But then
problem come
with same vendorid and productid. In this case driver wouldn't work
properly because
not correct init data sequence will be send to usb device.

I don't know maybee it's not possible to do it in this way.
Any ideas?

> You could use the device position on the USB bus, but note that it is
> not always the same every boot.
>
> Sounds like you have some very broken devices.
>
> good luck,
>
> greg k-h

thanks,

Marek