Re: Kernel Panic at boot

Hi,
The hard disk attatchment is SATA. Looking in /proc/modules on the working version I can see (among many more):

sg 36880 0 - Live 0xf89bc000
sr_mod 17956 0 - Live 0xf88f1000
cdrom 37408 1 sr_mod, Live 0xf8931000
sd_mod 30720 3 - Live 0xf8913000
pata_acpi 8320 0 - Live 0xf889a000
ata_generic 8324 0 - Live 0xf88e6000
ahci 28548 2 - Live 0xf88de000
ata_piix 19588 0 - Live 0xf887c000
libata 159600 4 pata_acpi,ata_generic,ahci,ata_piix, Live 0xf8987000
tg3 116228 0 - Live 0xf8969000
scsi_mod 151436 5 sbp2,sg,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata, Live 0xf8943000

and doing an lsmod gives me

mbcache                 9600  1 ext3
sg                     36880  0
sr_mod                 17956  0
cdrom                  37408  1 sr_mod
sd_mod                 30720  3
pata_acpi               8320  0
ata_generic             8324  0

I have enabled anything that looks like it might relate to these. Also, for a change, I tried to use YAIRD to create my initrd as Mulyadi suggested there may be issues with mkinitrd. Also, yaird seems to do a little more analysis to tell me if I am doing stupid things :-)

Doing a 'yaird --test' gives:

yaird error: unsupported device required: sr0 (fatal)

And doing

stephen@the-batman:/usr/local/src/linux-2.6.28$ sudo yaird -o initrdsteo.img-2.6.28 2.6.28
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input1
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/virtual
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/virtual/input
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/virtual/input/input2
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/virtual
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/virtual/input
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/virtual/input/input4
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input
yaird error: unrecognised device: /sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input5
yaird error: there were errors in this run, aborting now without output (fatal)
stephen@the-batman:/usr/local/src/linux-2.6.28$

So....yaird is probably telling me I haven't done enough to continue. But I ignored it and went onto use mkinitrd as before with just one warning:
FATAL: Module sg not found.

Then on boot I saw a lot of SCSI and SATA stuff flash by and then:

RAMDISK: Loading into RAM disk... done
List of all partitions:
No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext3 vfat msdos iso9660
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unkown block(0,0)

Now the last time I tried with just a make defconfig, I got the following partitions listed:

List of all partitions:
0800               sda driver: sd
0801      <numbers> sda1
0802      <numbers> sda2
0803      <numbers> sda3
0804      <numbers> sda4
0b00  <numbers> sr0 driver: sr

The only difference is that I enabled more SATA and SCSI like stuff.
Also, I tried make oldconfig using my current kernel config 2.6.24-23-generic (I'm using ubuntu 8.10 distro) but that just gave me the same original devfs problem :(
Sorry for the long mail,
All help much appreciated
Stephen